POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tutorial collection : Re: Tutorial collection Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:10:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tutorial collection
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 16 Nov 2000 14:04:25
Message: <3A142E5D.75A6A9EC@my-dejanews.com>
The main collection "Your 10 Best Images" will have pages set up so that
someone could see the thumbnails for:
 all the 3D Toons,
 all the work by Warp,
 all the work by Panamanians,
 all the work by the people who actually can write their own raytracers
 all the landscapes,
 all the images made using sPatch modelling,
 all the images with the word "media" in the keywords,
*or*  the entirety of information on Greg's image #3, the fractals one.

It **shall be** html-driven.   I bought the first IRTC CD-ROM (alas, only
the first; Amazon.com 1-click didn't work on subsequent CD's).  That CD's
layout ONLY benefited the person interested in seeing all the SciFi or
Flight images at one time.  A Panamanian graphic design editor or a
frustrated novice using sPatch or the 3D Toons partisan will all have very
different reasons for picking up the CD.

Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba wrote:

> if you just name subdirectories as
> clouds1, clouds2, focblur, globals, isosrf1, isosrf2, layers, loops,
> macro, media1, media2, pigments, plant, sky, tree1, tree2, variabls,
> water1, water2, water3

This could be done but certainly must not be the only way of locating the
tuts. What if someone used media to make water? What if someone wrote a
sPatch tutorial to make trees?  A brilliant recursive macro to make a
trees?  We could make some kind of dual structure for the tuts, where there
is one big TXT file which simply lists a title or something about every
tut--the povray.binaries.tutorials structure you are insisting on.

By a "povray webring structure",  I mean both of the following:
I)  a table of URL's added to every page which at least say
  go to next tut by this author,
  go to next tutorial on macros,
  go to next tutorial on trees,
  Save this tutorial's zip file as,
  go to CD main page,  etc.

and
II) Every tutorial looks vaguely similar to my own
(http://www.geocities.com/pterandon/boids.html) much moreso than like p.b.t.
.  IMO this will provide much more benefit to the purchaser wanting to use
it every day than having the only structure on the CD being like p.b.t..

I have a STRONG personal adversion to being forced to unzip a few dozen
files to see if it is what I'm looking for, so I insist that some kind of
html search page is part of the tutorials section on the CD.

Also note that the 10best.raytrace.com copyright (
http://10best.raytrace.com/10bestcopy.txt ) says:

<<5.1. Distribution is not allowed on any storage media that is accessible
over
the Internet or similar Wide Area Networks. This prohibits the use of these
files on FTP, WWW or gopher sites, among others. Distribution authorized in
(1) through (4) above is excluded from this restriction.

5.2. Distribution is not allowed on any CD-ROMs or other high capacity media

(optical disks, DVD, etc.) excepting those that are produced in accordance
with
(1) through (4) above.>>

> I think you don't want prepare cdrom for one watch
> I hope, you want povers to use your "product" every day

Yes, I trust your noble motive in this regard and thanks for putting up with
my ornery counter-suggestions.